- The coyote is found in North and Central America, from as far south at Panama through to as far north as Alaska and Canada.
- Coyotes are full growth within 9 to 12 months
- Coyotes usually hunt in groups of 2 or 3
- They are effective hunters with a varied diet, besides meat they even eat fruits and vegetables!
- Coyotes can breed with domestic dogs, the offspring is called a coydog
- They can also breed with wolves, the offspring is a coywolf
- In the wild they live about 10-14 years. In captivity they are known to live as long as 20 years.
- They are often mistaken for a small to medium sized domestic dog
- They are different to wolves, coyotes are smaller, and have distinctly different behavior patterns and lifestyles
- A dog’s chest appears deeper than that of a coyote, giving the impression that a coyote has longer legs, with the coyote's elbow below it's chest line. A domestic dog's elbow in usually, but not always, above it's chest line
- They can sprint as fast as as 65kph
Have a look at this site showing differences between wolves and coyotes
Have a look at this video for more interesting facts.